Saturday, March 10, 2012

Another Farmhouse Table

I have to show you our daughters finished table also.  Since it was her idea that got this whole process going, it is only right.  And I really like hers also.  She was talking about a table and I remembered we have been storing one is our basement for years.  It was a  wedding gift from my parents, and us being careless put it in the basement and the top of it went bad.  It is a teak table, beautiful wood.  So I said I have just the table.  She had found the project on pinterest.  So here goes:

First, more organized then us, she had her plan drew out.  Measurements, everything she needed.  Now she is making the smaller one until she gets a bigger house and will  put the table leaf in at that point to make it look even more farmhouse.  The leaf isn't done yet.

This is what the poor table looked like before.  I guess it pays to be a keeper of everything, see someone could use it.  Excuse the mess, it's my basement.

I won't claim it was easy, well it was for me, I was baking instead, haha.  But I stress that your  measurements have to be right.  They had all of the boards on but where they were doing two ends separately, it had to be done right to match up, but they got it after awhile.  And it was only a one day project.  Before she went home the first coat of stain was on.  Because spruce warps fast and needs to be worked with asap.

They did it.  Poor hubby had to lay underneath and try to figure where to put the screws.  Power tools help at this point.  And he did a wonderful job.  Without his help, we probably couldn't have done it.

The spruce from Home Depot is so smooth, it hardly needed any sanding.  It didn't take very many supplies actually.  This table took 8,  1 x 6 x 8, some 1 1/4 inch wood screws, Minwax Wood Finish 2716 Dark Walnut and Varathane Premium Diamond Wood Finish interior satin.  Purchased all at Home Depot.

We moved her to the wood room, haha to stain.  The staining process was quick and easy.  You just put it on with a cloth, wait 5 to 15, we did around 5 and took a clean cloth and just wiped back over it and let it dry over night. Always go with the grain when sanding for staining.

This is what it is starting to look like.  We were amazed  because none of us have ever attempted anything like this.  So anyone with any patience and persistants can do anything they set their minds to.

My father would be so proud of this, since he was the carpenter in the family.  And I can now pass a table down to one of my children, one of the last things my father gave me, makes me happy.  Now what will we do next?  Hummm.

1 comment:

I am happy so many enjoy my blog. The positive comments are encouraging. Thanks!