Saturday, January 14, 2012

Saddle Flower Arrangement

I have been thinking about my father a lot lately, so I wanted to do something special for him.  So I thought I would try a flower arrangement, called a saddle arrangement.  I never thought of myself as the least bit crafty, so this is a big undertaking for me.  I included a step by step in case anyone is like me and would like to do one but was never brave enough to try.  First I wanted to do it with little expense, so I started for the search for the frame, which was a little hard to find, but one day I just happened to go in a Loonie & Toonie store in Kentville and there was the frame and the floral foam.  And from there to the Dollar store where they have expanded and have a lot more variety, I can't believe the things in that store!  Anyway here goes.

To start I had to get my husbands wire cutters and measuring tape.

And I had to get him to secure the floral foam to the saddle.

I started my measuring things, but that soon went out the window, I just guessed and cut, a little impatient I am.

First I started by adding the greenery to the sides.

And started by putting the first row of flowers in the centre on top.

The next three on the side.

And the other side.

Two on the front and back.

I got red and white tulips, so they were next.

Then I just started adding things around.  I bought two bunches of carnations, two bunches of tulips, one bunch of the little white flowers, and the greenery.  But that wasn't enough, I had to go back and get a couple more bunches of carnations today and more greenery.

I had to add one of my ribbons that I used around the house at Christmas time, just a little special touch.

Here is my finished product.  I am quite pleased with the results.  I guess now that my children are grown I am finding the time to do the things that I never thought I had the time or talent to take on.  Life isn't over at 50 I guess, we just have to redefine ourselves.

I am figuring total cost, around $14.  I should go in business, lol, I did enjoy it for sure.  I hope my dad likes it.

Of course well I was at the Dollarama, I noticed this.  The glass dish came in different colors, I may have to go and get more for only $2, and the candle holders were 3 in a pack for $2.  I added the touch of berries.  Well I wonder what I will think to do next, can't wait.  Until next time.

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous Nancy! You did a beautiful job! A professional couldn't have done a better job, except that it means so much more because you made it for your Dad! Have a wonderful Sunday! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are getting really creative! that is really nice....im sure he will love it!

    ReplyDelete

I am happy so many enjoy my blog. The positive comments are encouraging. Thanks!