Saturday, February 9, 2013

Layered Mac & Cheese/Beef

I am always relied on Betty Crocker recipes that turn out the way I like them, so I found this one this week of all places Facebook.  Yeah I like facebook.  Anyway here goes:


2 cups macroni
1 lb lean hamburger
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 tbsp. butter or marg
2 tbsp. flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup chicken broth
3 cups shredded cheddar
1 cup soft bread crumbs
 
Oven 350 degrees.  Spray casserole dish.  Cook & drain macroni.  Meanwhile in a skillet cook beef, 1/2 tsp salt & pepper over med-high 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked, drain. (I just cooked until it was done).
 
In a saucepan melt margarine over med heat, stir in flour, cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, until bubbly.  Stir in milk, cook 5 to 6 minutes until mixture thickens slightly.  (mine took a little longer then 6)  Stir in broth and remaining 1/2 tsp salt.  Remove from heat, stir in cheese, fold in macroni.
 
Spoon 1/3 of macroni mixture (about 1 1/3 cups) into casserole, top with half of the beef (about 1 1/2 cups), layer with another 1/3 macroni mixture, remaining beef and remaining macroni.  Top with bread crumbs.  Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden.  Makes 6 servings.
 

This is after the macroni is cooked and the cheese sauce is made, adding the two together.

First layer, is the macroni and cheese sauce, I sprayed the casserole dish with non stick spray.

Next, layer hamburger on top of macroni, I may have put a little too much on this layer, but who's measuring.


Next another layer of macroni.
 
 
As you can see I should have divided the hamburger more evenly.
 
 
Bread crumbs on top, and in the oven it goes.
 
 
Here is what it looks like going in.
 
 
I chose 30 minutes
 
 
And it's done, looks like this is what is for supper tonight.
 
 
No strong overpowering taste, with simple garlic toast and some calcium, a pass.
 
 
 
 
 



1 comment:

  1. It looks so yummy Nancy! We love any kind of pasta/hamburger combination here! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete

I am happy so many enjoy my blog. The positive comments are encouraging. Thanks!